Domhnall O’Cathain, Partner, Personal Injury Law
Domhnall (Donny) Ó’Catháin is a New Jersey trial lawyer. He has helped his clients secure tens of millions of dollars for the injuries and economic losses they have suffered from the negligence of corporations and careless people.
Donny litigates personal injury cases in state court and in federal court. In 2017, his clients (a wife and her husband) won the largest dental malpractice jury verdict in New Jersey in a case where the defendant refused to make any offers. In 2019, his client won a $1.2 million dollar jury verdict in a case where the bus company’s final offer was $200,000. During the pandemic, he tried four virtual jury trials. Three of those cases resulted in verdicts for his clients that were more than twice the final offer by the defense. In the fourth case, the defense moved from a never-pay position to a six-figure settlement before closing statements.
He has many seven figure settlements in trucking crash cases and medical malpractice cases. Most of those cases settled shortly before trial.
Firms throughout the tristate area refer cases to him and other New Jersey plaintiff firms bring him in as trial counsel when a case cannot be settled. Many clients have come to him because he has been recommended by lawyers who have gone against him. Donny considers this to be a privilege and is honored to pay referring attorneys a referral fee pursuant to the New Jersey Rules of Court.
Donny was born and raised in Ballincollig, Co. Cork, Ireland. He has lived in New Jersey since 2004. He and his wife – and law partner – Francesca O’Cathain, reside in Hillsdale with their three children, their dog, and whatever other dog(s) their children have smuggled into the house. When he is not with his family or at his desk, he is probably just thinking about cross-examining his next defense witness.
- Car Crashes Resulting in Death, Catastrophic Injuries or Spinal Injuries
- Pedestrian Knockdown
- Trucking Accidents
- Lyft Accident & Uber Accident
- Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- OB/GYN Malpractice
- Birth Injuries
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, New Jersey
Professional Associations & Memberships:
- Brehon Law Society of New York, President (current)
- Member, Irish American Bar Association of New York (current)
- President, Irish American Bar Association of New York (former)
- American Association for Justice, New Jersey, Member (current)
- New Jersey State Court
- New Jersey Federal Court
- New York State Court
- New York Federal Court, Southern District of New York
- New York Federal Court, Eastern District of New York
- University College Cork, BCL
- Fordham University School of Law, LLM
- Rutgers School of Law, JD