Pedestrian Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
You Need a New Jersey Pedestrian-Knockdown Lawyer
A stark fact from 2022: according to the Governors Highway Safety Association, approximately 20 pedestrians were killed by automobile accidents every day, as you can learn from a Hackensack, NJ pedestrian lawyer. In fact, 2022 hit a four-decade high. And that’s only fatalities; it does not take into consideration all the pedestrian accidents that resulted in catastrophic injuries, chronic pain, and other serious issues. If you, a family member, or a friend has been hit by a car, truck, or bus in the state of New Jersey, contact a qualified lawyer from O’Cathain Law Group.
What should you do after a pedestrian accident, and why should you hire a lawyer?
You’ve Been Hit by A Vehicle in New Jersey While Crossing the Street
- Get medical attention. Most pedestrian knockdowns involve broken bones and concussions. This means that you were probably taken to hospital by ambulance. The hospital only kept you as long as they wanted, and you are now trying to figure out who is in charge of your medical care and how it will get paid. This is where a New Jersey injury lawyer can help set you up with doctors who know how to deal with your insurance so you can focus on getting better.
- Document the accident to the best of your ability. Your Hackensack pedestrian lawyer can get your police report if you don’t have a copy already. This will help identify the driver and the driver’s insurance company. It is also helpful if you or someone you trust can take photos of your injuries so that they can be shown to a jury at trial. Currently, many people have videos of crashes that we don’t know about – it might be from a smartphone, a dash-cam, or a camera set up by the town. Let your lawyer know about any videos that you know about – the video can be of the crash, your condition after the crash, or anything related to your case.
- Call a lawyer. Don’t expect the driver’s insurance company to play fair with you. You will need legal representation if you were hit by a negligent driver. Most New Jersey lawyers don’t charge a consultation fee and don’t charge any legal fee unless you get a recovery from your case.
What Can a New Jersey Pedestrian Knock-Down Lawyer Do to Help You Move Forward?
- A certified civil trial lawyer in New Jersey will explain your legal rights to you. The lawyer will help you get to doctors who can treat you for your injuries and deal with the insurance issues. Your doctors might include an orthopedist, a radiologist, a pain management doctor, a neurologist, a concussion specialist, or a physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor. Those doctors can refer you to physical therapists and chiropractors if it will help. The lawyer will file a lawsuit and work maximizing your settlement or bringing the case to trial if necessary. Make sure the law firm has a lawyer with experience in bringing the case to trial.
- Bring your case to trial: While most cases settle, some cases don’t settle because both sides value the case differently. Most insurance companies and their lawyers look at you as a statistic to decide what to pay you. The best way to improve your chances of a higher settlement is to hire an attorney who tries cases in front of juries and who has hit a big verdict that the insurance company didn’t expect. And if the insurance company isn’t willing to offer fair compensation for your injury, you now have an attorney ready to try the case in front of a jury.
Who should I hire as my pedestrian knockdown New Jersey personal injury lawyer?
If you are reading this and want to know more about your legal rights after being hit while crossing the street, reach out to us for a free personal injury legal consultation. We have experience with cases just like yours.
Call (201) 488-1161, fill out the intake form, or email a dedicated Personal Injury paralegal to speak with a Hackensack pedestrian lawyer at O’Cathain Law Group.