Bus Accident Lawyer Hackensack, NJ
You Need A New Jersey Bus Crash Lawyer
Our roads in Bergen County and all-over North Jersey are full of buses, as a Hackensack, NJ bus accident lawyer is familiar with. They are owned by companies like Coach, Werner, Greyhound, Academy, Lakeland, Starr, McCarney, Stout’s, and NJ Transit. Most of these buses are heading to New York City, coming down from Canada and upstate New York, or going south to Atlantic City, Philadelphia, or Atlantic City. If you have recently suffered injuries in an accident, it may be in your best interest to contact a lawyer at O’Cathain Law Group.
According to Patch.com (a local news website), bus crashes are on the rise in the Garden State. The National Highway Safety Traffic Administration data show bus crashes ticking up each year for the past five years. School bus crashes are also on the rise.
We see these buses on Route 4, Route 17, Route 78, Route 80, the Turnpike, heading into the Lincoln Tunnel and crossing the George Washington Bridge. We also see the smaller jitneys that are racing each other to grab the passengers at the next stop.
The bus drivers are usually careful and follow the rules of the road, but we also know that the drivers can be aggressive and cause crashes that kill people or leave them with life changing injuries.
Some of the things that cause bus crashes are:
- Bus driver exhaustion
- Distracted bus driving
- Following too closely
- Changing lanes
- Blind spots
- Aggressive driving
- Mechanical failures
- Poor training
The injuries from crashes can be devastating. They include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractured and broken bones
- Concussion, post-concussion syndrome, and brain injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
New Jersey Bus Accident Litigation – NJ Transit And Other Municipal Buses:
If the bus crash involved a NJ Transit bus, a school bus, or any bus owned or operated by the state or municipal entity, you need to immediately call a New Jersey bus crash lawyer. Most of these cases are barred if you do not serve a Notice of Claim within ninety (90) days of the crash on behalf of an injured adult. You will need an experienced Hackensack bus accident lawyer to know what to do to preserve your claim.
If NJ Transit or the other municipal bus company does not want to settle after serving the Notice of Claim, the case can then be filed with the court and put into litigation.
New Jersey Bus Accident Litigation:
Most bus companies have large insurance policies because bus crashes can cause horrific damage to people.
Some lawyers might only know about the primary policy that the company has because the defense lawyers often don’t disclose the excess and umbrella policies unless it is properly demanded. An experienced bus crash lawyer will know how to demand and get the information on all coverage that applies to your case.
Some bus cases get moved into federal court. A lot of New Jersey bus crash lawyers are not admitted to federal court and have never litigated a personal injury case in federal court.
Most bus crash cases settle before trial because juries understand that bus drivers can be aggressive and negligent. They have seen it themselves.
Some bus crash cases go to a jury trial because the insurance adjuster for the bus company does not want to pay full and fair compensation for the injuries. An experienced bus accident attorney will know how to bring your case to a jury and help you tell your story.
Your New Jersey bus crash lawyer can file a lawsuit that can include claims for the following:
- Wrongful death
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of society and companionship
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Life care costs
New Jersey Bus Crash Lawyers
Our firm has lawyers who are certified as civil trial lawyers by the New Jersey Supreme Court and who litigate bus crash cases in federal court and in New Jersey state courts. You pay no money upfront for a consultation. You only pay a legal fee if there is a recovery at the end of your case.
Our job is to help you Move Forward. That means maximizing the money we recover for you so that you can be compensated for what the negligent bus driver and negligent bus company took away from you.
Call (201) 488-1161, fill out the intake form, or email a dedicated Personal Injury paralegal to speak with a Hackensack bus accident lawyer at O’Cathain Law Group.
Exploring The Varied Causes Of Bus Accidents
As a trusted Hackensack, NJ bus accident lawyer knows, bus accidents can occur due to a multitude of factors, ranging from human errors to adverse road conditions. Understanding the different ways in which these incidents can happen is crucial for developing effective preventive measures. By understanding the various causes of bus accidents, our team at O’Cathain Law Group can shed light on potential areas of concern.
- Driver Error: One of the primary causes of bus accidents is driver error. This can encompass a wide range of factors, including distracted driving, fatigue, speeding, aggressive driving, and impaired driving. Inadequate training, lack of experience, or insufficient rest can contribute to these errors. Negligent actions such as failing to yield, improper lane changes, or disregarding traffic signals significantly increase the likelihood of accidents. Additionally, driver distractions like using mobile devices, eating, or adjusting vehicle controls can divert attention from the road, leading to devastating consequences.
- Adverse Weather Conditions: Inclement weather conditions pose a significant risk for bus accidents. Rain, snow, ice, fog, and strong winds can decrease visibility, impair traction, and affect vehicle handling. Wet or icy roads can cause the bus to skid or lose control, leading to collisions or rollovers. Reduced visibility in foggy conditions makes it challenging for drivers to spot obstacles or other vehicles. Proper training and adherence to safe driving practices, such as adjusting speed, maintaining a safe distance, and using appropriate lights, are crucial when driving in adverse weather.
- Vehicle Malfunction: Mechanical failures or malfunctions in a bus can result in accidents. Brake failures, tire blowouts, steering system problems, or engine issues can lead to loss of control and accidents. Inadequate maintenance, failure to inspect or repair faulty parts, or ignoring warning signs can exacerbate the risk. A Hackensack bus accident lawyer knows that regular inspections, maintenance schedules, and prompt repairs are vital to ensuring the safe operation of buses. Employing skilled mechanics and following manufacturer guidelines can help identify and address potential vehicle malfunctions before they escalate into dangerous situations.
- Road Infrastructure and Conditions: Poor road conditions and infrastructure can contribute to bus accidents. Potholes, uneven surfaces, insufficient signage, poorly marked lanes, and inadequate lighting increase the risk of collisions. Narrow roads or sharp turns may pose challenges for bus drivers, especially in urban areas. Construction zones with temporary changes in traffic patterns can also increase the likelihood of accidents. Collaborative efforts between transportation authorities, road planners, and construction teams are necessary to ensure safe road conditions, well-maintained surfaces, and clear signage to mitigate these risks.
Bus accidents can occur due to a variety of causes, ranging from human factors to external elements. Addressing these causes requires a multi-faceted approach that includes driver education and training, vehicle maintenance and inspections, awareness of adverse weather conditions, and proper road infrastructure planning. By understanding and mitigating these risks, we can strive for safer bus transportation for everyone. Prioritizing safety measures and implementing stricter regulations is crucial so that we can work towards reducing the frequency and severity of bus accidents. If you were injured in a bus accident and believe that another party is liable, reach out to O’Cathain Law Group to speak with our Hackensack bus accident lawyer now.